Monday 15 March 2010

Tree Model Step By Step Process


This is my final model for my tree. It was a pretty basic model to complete, so apart from a few minor problems, it wasnt too hard to complete. Here is a step by step process of how i created it:


First, I created a cylinder.


Next, I began on the arms. To do this i simply extruded one of the polygons about half way down the model.


Then I added the fingers. I did this the same way as the arms. However I had to add a few more lines in order to make it possible to extrude 3 fingers, rather than 1 large finger.


Next, I used soft selection on some of the lower verticies and dragged them out in order to create the stump of the tree. I also turned on Turbo Smooth in order to get an idea of what the model would like like upon completion.


Then I added an arm on the other side of the tree and rounded off the head. I could have just used the reflection modifier in order to make my life simpler and to make the length of each arm more accurate, but this did not occur to me at the time.


Then I started on the head of the tree. I created a sphere and distorted the shape slightly.


I then used the soft selection tool in order to drag out some polygons so it would create an unevenness effect of leaves that trees have.


I then linked the 2 objects together, as well as create ears for the tree by extruding polygons out from the side. I also gave the model a wood material.


Finally, I made a few adjustments to the model. I added eyes and a mouth by created 3 capsules and modifying their shapes. I also extended the size of the ears slightly, changed the material to a more realistic one and added a specular level material of grass to the head of the tree in order to give the impression of leaves.

I didnt feel the need to add a huge amount of detail to the tree, such as extra branches or roots coming from the stump etc, as it is meant to be in a simple cartoon style.

In my story board there was another, much larger tree which acted as the leader of the trees. At the moment, I am undecided if I still want to include him in the animation. I just feel that it is unessential. If I do decide to include a leader tree, I will probably just reuse this model but change the face slightly in order to differentiate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment