Friday 30 April 2010

Scene 12



This scene is where the animation starts to become more sinister. The tree is pleased that he has managed to help the lumberjack and smiles. A shadow of the axe slowly rises on the body of the tree. The tree opens his eyes, then screams.

I am very happy with this scene, as I believe that it is very effective. In order to get the shadow effect, I had to position a taret light at such an angle where it would only cast part of the lumberjacks shadow on the tree. It took quite some time to get the angle right, but I eventually managed to get it right!

Of course, the target light also made the tree cast its own shadow. As the background is literally right behind the tree, it would cast a huge shadow covering almost the entire background, ruining the illusion of distance. So I had to remove the whole tree model's ability to cast a shadow. An easy fix!

The lumberjack's arms are at funny angles due to the position of the axe. However, I was able to leave it as the lumberjack never fully reveals himself, and only part of his shadow is shown. So it is thankfully not so obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment